The Center for Advanced Biomedical Research and Innovation (CABRI) of Gulf Medical University, in association with GMC Hospital, Ajman organized a seminar on prevention and control of hospital infections at the university campus in Ajman, on 10th & 11th February, 2016. Around 50 delegates participated in the seminar which was accredited by MOH for 12 CME hours.
Mr. Akbar Moideen Thumbay, Vice President of the Healthcare Division of Thumbay Group was the chief guest of the opening session. The seminar discussed a variety of topics on the ways to minimize hospital infections.
Some of the topics covered and the speakers:
- JCI standards – Dr. P.K Menon (Director – CABRI)
- Organization and function of Infection Control Committee – Dr. P.K Menon (Director – CABRI)
- Practical methods of Infection Control Surveillance – Dr. Fiaz Ahamed (Infection Control Manager – GMC Hospital, Ajman)
- Antibiotic Sensitivity Surveillance – Dr. Sajit Khan (Specialist ‘A’ Physician (Microbiology) CABRI)
- Healthcare Associated Infection: Identification, Prevention and Treatment, CAUTI, VAP, Blood stream infections (medical) – Dr. Khalid (Specialist A and Lecturer GMC Hospital, Ajman)
- Healthcare associated infection: Identification, Prevention and treatment: SSI, Needle stick injuries (Surgical) – Dr. Mohanad (Consultant, General & Laparoscopic Surgeon – GMC Hospital, Ajman)
- QI/KPIs and FMEA in relation to PCI chapter of JCI standards – Dr. Pawan Gupta (Dept. of Quality Assurance – GMC Hospital, Ajman)
- Management of Spills – Dr. Amany (Head of Laboratory Department – Thumbay Hospital, Fujairah)
- Care Bundles – Dr. Monalisa Panda (Microbiologist – Thumbay Hospital, Dubai)
- Antibiotic Stewardship – Dr. P.K Menon (Director – CABRI)
- Basic infection control measures (hand Hygiene and PPE) – Ms. Saji (Infection Control Nurse – GMC Hospital, Ajman)
- Outbreak Management – Dr. Khalid (Specialist A and Lecturer GMC Hospital, Ajman)
- Health Education (Health care workers, Patients, Visitors) – Sr. Justina Nancy Mendonca (Chief Nursing Officer – GMC Hospital, Ajman)
- Isolation of patients – Sr. Blessy Easow (Nurse – GMC Hospital, Ajman)
- Hospital Waste Management – Sr. Justina Nancy Mendonca (Chief Nursing Officer – GMC Hospital, Ajman)
- Linen Management – Sr. Blessy Easow (Nurse – GMC Hospital, Ajman)
- Disinfection and sterilization – Mr. Ranjit (Infection Control Nurse – Thumbay Hospital)
- Food safety in the hospital – Ms. Famidha Jafri (Dietician – GMC Hospital, Ajman)
The pre and post course exams were administered by Dr. Sajit Khan. Certificates were issued to the participants at the end of the program.